Point of Sale System facilitates a better control of business. It is an alternative to the old and manual approach of cash registers, which comprises of multiple complex operations.With POS System, retail businesses are able to carry out retail transactions effortlessly from anywhere. However, it has a complex system that integrates numerous interconnected systems and third-party elements. Ecommerce business
To test POS one must focus on the 3 basic levels or functions involved in POS which are the following:
1. Application Level/Front Office Functions:
2. Back of House Functions
3. Corporate Level Functions
Application Level/Front Office Functions:
- Sale Transaction: This includes customer transactions such as the entry of items and validation of the correct tax amount calculation.
- Payment: POS supports vast range of payment modes. Verification of all types payment modes accepted by should be part of testing this includes Card, Cash, Gift Cards, as well as certain coupon codes, discount vouchers.
- End of Day – End of Day refers to the summary reports including the daily sales reconciliation, that is generated and sent to stakeholders. It plays as one of the most important activity done at the backend as it is an indication on how the day was in terms of sales. Buy & Sell products POS
Back of House Functions:
- Employee Scheduling – Clocking a work schedule for employees is also important for BOH activity. This can be done manually or using an automated way by using data from past sales patterns and project labor requirement.
- Inventory Management – Inventory management is yet another area in scope for testing BOH as it tracks down products through each stage of the inventory cycle and also to have an idea before an item falls below the stock level.
- selling Online
Corporate Level Functions:
Corporate Level Functions need not be checked in the POS system but if they are done by using apps or software which are installed or integrated with the POS systems, it is as equally important to other areas of POS system to check the following:
- HR and Payroll
- Finance and Accounting
- Vendor Management
- DW and BI
The possibility to complete multiple, complex operations by using POS System in such minimum efforts within the minimal time, it is only proper for POS applications to demand a lot of focus on effectively testing the solution before it gets deployed as it involves much larger complexities and variant types of interfaces and devices.